Acai Berry vs Maqui Berry

There are number of berries which are packed with nutrients and have been in use in different parts of the world for centuries because of the apparent health benefits, which are increasingly being validated by new medical researches and findings. As interest is growing among people about the health benefits of these berries, a range of premium beauty products such as acai mask have hit the market, inviting a comparison between the advantages of different berries.

Both acai and maqui berries like many other varieties of berries that come from South America are similar in size and properties but because of some differences in their nutrient constituents, they compete with each other as the preferred raw material for many beauty and facial products as well as health supplements. Acai is deep blue while maqui is deep purple and both are approximately the same size. Both are small and their seeds constitute 80% of the fruit; the remaining 20% is packed with nutrients, useful fats and aids. Indigenous people in regions where these berries are grown -- the Amazon rain forests, Chile and Argentina -- are known to be using these berries in their daily life.

The nutrition level in both the berries is high but there are some differences that must be considered before choosing which super berry to choose.

Similarities and differences of Acai and Maqui

In the market, both these super berries claim to be a great health supplement, loaded with antioxidants, nutrients, fiber and useful omega fatty and amino acids. The two berries are also said to beneficial in cleansing and detoxification, immune support, heart diseases, diabetes and cancer. But the most widespread use of these two berries has been noticed in the beauty care industry where these fruits are used for their anti-ageing and anti-inflammatory properties.

Acai berry contains anthocyanins, which is a powerful antioxidants that has the potential to fight a wide range of health conditions including cancer, heart disease and macular degeneration. Studies suggest that anthocyanins may spur weight loss. But it seems maqui berries have greater antioxidant constituent than acai berries, at least lab tests show that. But overall, both berries have their respective advantages of unique nutrient content and it will be unfair to say that acai fares poorer compared ot maqui.

The acai berry is rich in omega fatty acid and contains nutrients including vitamins A, C and E. The maqui berry also has omega fatty acids, vitamins A and C and a range of minerals including calcium, iron and potassium.

Both the berries are excellent health supplement that tend to help in a number of health conditions. In view of the overall health benefits, it is no wonder why indigenous people have been using these two berries for centuries as a ritual in their daily life. It ensures overall well-being besides keeping them young by driving away all signs of ageing.

The berries retain most of the antioxidant and vitamins even when converted into fruit pulp, butter or paste and commercially supplied all over the world. Both the fruits have been used by indigenous people for thousands of years for their health and anti-aging benefits. Maqui extract is also used prominently as a coloring agent in Chilean wines.


Both maqui and acai berries are available in raw, butter and power forms in health food stores and online. All these products receive rave reviews on online market such as Amazon. Once, you have procured the berries in the form you want to use start adding it your daily diet. You can add a little bit of powder, butter or paste of any of these berries in all your recipes to add power to the food that you eat.

While those looking for good skin care products will do better to watch out acai based products such as acai mask and use them. Both the berries are available in a range of products that can be included in your daily life. IF you are trying to include these berries in your recipes and dishes, you should consult some cook books and try to draw new inspirations. But one way that you can use it is to add a bit of acai or maqui derivative whatever you eat smoothie, sauce, curry or soup.