Botox is a popular drug that is used to treat conditions resulting from uncontrolled muscles. This drug works by blocking neurotransmitters that tell the muscles to contract thus preventing muscle contractions. It received FDA’s approval in 2002 to be used as a facial procedure. However, its ability to relax muscles and to cure muscle conditions, medical researchers claim that it could also be used to relieve other muscle conditions such as neck and back pains. It is believed that when this aesthetic is combined with physical therapy, it could significantly lower these spasms. In this article, we will review the use of Botox to lower neck and back spasms.
Botox’s effects on neck and back problems
Dystonia is a painful neck disorder that causes a lot of discomforts. It is usually accompanied by an awkward head and neck posture due to the muscles that tend to contract involuntarily. Its cause has not been established yet but this condition normally gets worse while walking or doing any other physical exercise. The pain caused by this condition can be relieved by oral aesthetic medications injections. The study also shows that Botox injection greatly reduces this condition and helps reduce spinal degeneration. A recent study published by the American Journal of Pain Management shows that Botox injection has the ability to reduce neck pains by 40%. The study points out that this drug has the ability to lower neck pain for about 3 to 6 months depending on the seriousness and type of the condition. Botox is a muscle paralyzer hence it can be used to reduce back pain since it helps lowers muscle tone and enhances flexibility. This explains why it can be used to relieve back pains among patients. It is believed that having a Botox injection before physical therapy will greatly reduce neck and back spasms. This drug has not been approved yet by FDA to be used in relieving neck and back spasms but many doctors out there are using it and they have given positive comments about it. It should be noted that Botox does not treat neck and back pain but it rather relieves them. As such, it should be continuously used so as to continue getting relieved.
Any side effects?
Are you worried about experiencing adverse side effects while using Botox to relieve neck and back pains? You should not be! This drug has no systematic side effects because it is administered locally. Unlike other oral drugs, therefore, it does not cause side effects such as dizziness and fatigue. This drug, however, can cause adverse side effects such as headaches, neck pain, and cold-flue among Dystonia patients.
Pros of using Botox to treat neck and back pains
- Botox is cheaper than other therapies.
- Does not involve the introduction of very many medical equipment into the body as compared to surgery.
- Does not result in major complications.
- No adverse side effects.
Cons of using Botox to treat neck and back pains
- Relieve is only temporary.
- Lack FDA’s approval means no insurance cover.
- It has not been researched widely.
What to consider before using it to relieve neck and back pains
Before you use this procedure to lower neck and back pains, you should consider the following:
- Side effects: You should first find out if Botox will cause any side effects on your health. This is because its side effects normally vary from one person to another as well as from one condition to another.
- Price: You should weigh the cost of carrying out a Botox injection procedure against the cost for using other oral aesthetics. If the price of this Botox procedure is lower given other conditions are kept constant, then go for it.
- Insurance: You also need to find out if there is an insurance company that covers the use of Botox procedure to relieve your neck and back pain.
As you have seen, Botox can be used to lower neck and back pains. It can also be used to treat facial wrinkles. In short, the fact that it has the ability to block neurotransmitters thus preventing muscle contraction makes it suitable to be used in relieving various medical conditions. You should, therefore, make sure that you consult the relevant bodies whenever you feel that this medical procedure can be helpful to you.
Learn more about Botox for migraines.